HAP (Housing Assistance Payment) is a social housing support that is provided by local authorities throughout Ireland. Local authorities make a monthly payment to a landlord, subject to terms and conditions including rent limits, on a HAP tenant’s behalf. In return, the HAP tenant pays a weekly contribution towards the rent to the local authority. HAP tenants must find their own accommodation in the private rented market, and the landlord must agree to rent their property to the HAP tenant. To find your local authority and their contact details click here.

If you have been granted international protection and have been residing in Direct Provision, you will have to leave the centre and move into other accommodation. Most centres allow people to stay after they get their status because it is difficult to find housing.

There are two options when leaving Direct Provision, the first involves applying for social housing, or the second is to acquire private rented accommodation. It is often very difficult to acquire private rented accommodation so it may be easier to apply for social housing.

Social housing is provided by each local authority. You can apply to get on the housing list through your local authority. It is best to apply to the local authority where you currently reside, as you will have an established ‘local connection’.

Click here to find your local authority.

Threshold is the National Housing Charity and provides information and advice on a range of topics related to housing. 

International Protection Accommodation Service (IPAS) is the State agency tasked with the providing accommodation for asylum-seekers in Direct Provision.


For further information on housing visit here.