Ukrainian Response

If you are a Ukrainian citizen or if you are fleeing Ukraine, the Irish Government will help you when you arrive in Ireland. See all the support available in Ireland below.

Arriving in Ireland

Once you have arrived in Dublin Airport, you should present to an Immigration Officer (at passport control) who will take you to a reception area within the airport. You will be provided a permission letter, which will grant you permission to reside in Ireland for 1 year under the Temporary Protection Directive. For more information click here.


If you or your family need accommodation, please inform an Immigration Officer while at the Airport. They will refer you to the International Protection Accommodation Service, who will provide you with accommodation free of charge. If you do not require immediate accommodation, you can request it should you need to in the future. For more information click here.

Social Welfare Supports

To avail of public services in Ireland you will require a Personal Public Services Number (PPSN). When you arrive at Dublin Airport you will be able apply for your PPSN, with a staff member from the Department of Social Protection. They will also assist if you require personal income support. Parents and guardians of children under 16 are also entitled to child benefit payment. For more on social welfare supports click here.

Employment, Childcare & Education

Once you have been given your permission letter granting you Temporary Protection, you are entitled to seek employment, self-employment or vocational training education in Ireland.

The Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) programme provides 2 years of free pre-school to children. ECCE is provided for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week, from September to June. Childcare in Ireland is provided for children aged from 6 months to 15 years. If you have been granted Temporary Protection, the National Childcare Scheme (NCS) can cover the full cost of childcare under NCS sponsorship arrangements.

Children aged between 4 and 18 will be supported to access public primary or post-primary education provided by the State as appropriate. To get your child started in education, you can approach your local school and they will provide information on how to enrol. For more information on employment, childcare and education, click here.

Healthcare Services

The Health Service Executive (HSE) provides public healthcare in Ireland. Once you have been granted Temporary Protection under the EU Directive you are entitled health services and a medical card immediately. The medical card will all you to access primary care services for you and your child dependents from a family doctor without charge. For more on healthcare services click here.

Other support from people & businesses

Community Response Forums have been established in every local authority. These response forums are community-led and aim to provide basic needs such as clothing, access to the internet, transport and details on how to access services. For contact details and further information on each Local Authority click here.

English Classes

There are a wide range of English classes available free of charge. For information on classes please click here.

Multilingual educational material

We have also made available some basic educational resources in a number of languages. To access these materials, please click here.


Information on An Garda Siochana and contact numbers in Ukrainian,  Russian and English that are important for Ukrainian citizens in Ireland to be aware of.


NCP also offers a number of services that assist migrant individuals, families and groups with social inclusion, child protection, education, training, employment, cultural understanding & citizenship. Click here to see all our services. 

The Migrant Family Support Service (MFSS) - leaflet in Russian

Migrant Women-Opportunities for Work (Mi-WOW) - leaflet in Russian